Ákosfalva lies at a distance of 12 kilometres of Marosvásárhely, on the imaginary boundary that separates the lower and the upper course of the Nyárád – Niraj River.
The first written document mentioning the settlement is a medieval record of a confession taken on the 13th October 1497 before the Convent of Kolozsmonostor – Cluj-Mănăştur, in the case of the murder of a priest called Lőrinc from “Székelyvásárhely”. The register mentions the name of a witness, a certain Benediktum Gydew de Achusfalwa (Benedek Gidó from Ákosfalva).
Later on, the name of the village appears under different versions: in 1497 as Achusfalwa, in 1501 as Ákosfalva, in 1567 it is called Ákosfalwa, in 1575 Ákosffalwa, in 1694, 1854 and 1893 again Ákosfalva or Ákosfaleau, while in 1850 Ákosfalou.
There are eight settlements under the administrative jurisdiction of Ákosfalva: Székelyvaja – Văleni, Harasztkerék – Roteni, Göcs – Găleşti, Szövérd – Suveica, Kisgörgény – Gurghiu Mic, Cserefelva – Stejeriş, Székelycsóka – Corbeşti, Szentbenedek – Murgeşti.