Ciuc, Str. Szek Nr. 166
show the phone number
Why is so special The Baroque Church From Sumuleu Ciuc Sumuleu: |
Presentation - The Baroque Church From Sumuleu Ciuc Sumuleu
The Baroque Church from Sumuleu Ciuc
The construction of the baroque church was started in 1804 according to the plans of the architect Konstantin Schmidt, and was finished in its entirety in 1876. The majority of the furniture of the church was created by the painter and sculptor from Brasov, Miklos Papp. The side altars and the pulpit were ready already in the first half of the 19th century. These are: the Altar of Saint Francis, the Altar of Saint Anton, the Altar of Saint Elisabeth, the Altar of Saint Anna, the Altar of Saint John from Nepomuk and the Altar of Saint John the Baptiser, the Altar of Saint Margaret from Kortona and under the chorus the Altar of the Suffering Jesus.
The stallum in the sanctuary and the pulpit on the southern wall of the nave represent special values. The chorus was created by the craftsman from Gyergyoszentmiklos, Antal Pfeifer in 1831. The most important element of the chorus is the organ which was built in todays from in 1931. The coloured glass windows were manufactured in Grottau in the years 1905-1911 and were placed in the window holes of the church. On the glass window above the main entrance of the church one can see the monograms of Jesus and Saint Mary as well as the sign of the Franciscans. On the right side of the Virgin Mary sculpture there is placed the sculpture of King Stephen the Saint, while on the left you will find the sculpture of King Saint Laszlo.
The Saint Mary sculpture on the fasade of the church is a goldsmith is work made from copper by Rottenbacher, a craftsman from Brasov, who created the sculpture in 1837.
As Somlyo has been a traditional pilgrimage place with its special respect for the Virgin Mary, on the 3rd of January 1948 Pope Pius the 12th declared the church a Basilica Minor.