Bereck is a commune in Covasna County, Romania, comprising also the following villages: Mărtănuş and Oituz. Breţcu’s biggest advantage is its superb setting at the foot of the Carpathians. This old Transylvanian settlement is situated at 76 km. from Braşov, 26 km. from Târgu Secuiesc and the visitors, arriving either from Europe or other countries besides Europe, are amazed by its geographical potentialities. The National Road number 11 crosses Breţcu linking Transylvania and Moldavia. In the old documents and legends the settlement is named “The Eastern Gate of Transylvania” due to its closest position to the Oituz Pass. Áron Gábor, the hero of the 1848 war of independence was born here on 21st November 1814, there is a memorial plaque on the house that stands on the spot of his birth house, his statue that was uncovered in 1992 stands near the Catholic church. Its sights: the remains of the Veneturné castle at the entrance of the Oituz pass, its old Gothic church, which must have been built in 1569 from wood, while its tower was built in 1764. 2 kms from the village in the vicinity of the tile factory a 3 meters tall memorial obelisk was built in 1899 to honour Queen Elisabeth.
The easternmost settlement of the county lies on the borderline between Transylvania and Moldavia, in the narrow valley of the fast-flowing Ojtoz River, at the feet of beautiful mountains displaying breathtaking sceneries. It is formed of two parts: the dwellings and houses built along the busy main street, and the other part formed of a lumber mill and some houses rented by workers.
The Roman Catholic church is located in the centre of the village, its patron saint are Saints Fabian and Sebastian. Opposite the church there is the three-heaped formation, on whose cross the old Hungarian prayer of “Hiszekegy” can be read.
The Strait of Ojtoz has been the scene of numberless battles during the centuries. There are two military cemeteries: one gives home to the tombs of Hungarian soldiers and civilians died on battlefields, in the other one there are the tombs of Romanian heroes.
From administrative point of view the village belongs to Bereck, and it is one of the small villages in Haromszek that has a mixed population. The central and lower parts of the village are inhabited by Hungarians, the Gipsies of Roman Catholic religion live in the upper part named Felszeg whereas the Romanians` houses are located along the Roman street.