Kézdiszentlélek is a settlement situated amidst gorgeous surroundings, with a respectable history of its own, and through its notable ecclesiastical events, a pearl amongst the villages of Upper-háromszék. In Kovászna county, one and a half kilometers from Kézdivásárhely, it spreads on the banks of the Kászon-stream, in the forefront of the Sekler-Kászoni mountains, also known by the locals as the Holly-land.
The Perkő mountain rises above the settlement, also called the holly mountain of Háromszék, the place of pilgrimage of the Roman-Catholics. The village's name derives from the its church consecrated in honor of the Holy Spirit, the settlement's name was first mentioned in texts originating from 1332. Erstwhile the village consisted of two parts: the first pertaining to Felső-Fehér comitatus, whilst the second to Kézdiszék.
The settlement, which from administrative point of view belongs to Kézdiszentlélek, lies at the northern feet of the Perkő Mountain, on the left bank of the Kászon Creek. According to local legends, the village was formed by the inhabitants of a former small settlement located as far as 5 km from Kiskászon -named Szent János- who had fled from the Tartars.
In the centre of this small village there is a church that used to be an old house and that has been transformed later for religious purposes later. Its patron saint is Saint Margaret Árpádházi. The old building of the school was not demolished; in 1996 it was transformed into the Memorial House of Pilgrims. One of the valuable objects of the collection is a statue of Mary’s dating back to the 18th century, made in Baroque style, which was brought into the house from Szentkatolna. The painted crucifix, dating back to the 19th century and brought to the settlement in the 19th century, also draws the attention of the visitors.
The village is also wroth visiting for its tasty mineral water.
The old name of the settlement belonging to Kézdiszentlélek from administrative point of view was Peselnek, its current name was given in 1905. In the 14th century the village was inhabited by Pecenegs. Due to its stone fences the settlement looks like a fortress. The stones which were used during the construction of the walls and fences were brought from the hill rising above the cemetery of the village.
On the spot of Polyvár archeologists opened up a site dating back to the Neolithic Age, from where some ceramics statues representing animal figures were brought up to the surface. In the border area of the village named Faluhely the base of the first church dating back to the Romanesque Era has been found. Its present church surrounded by stone walls was built in 1825, west of the cemetery, in the honour of Saint Lawrence.
In the valley of the Kővár Creek a sulphuric spring rushes up to the surface, called Büdös Kút. Traditions kept in the village are: celebrating name days of those who are called István and János, visiting families, the latter being celebrated in the last ten evenings of Advent.
The village lies on the left part of the highway that links Kászon to Kézdiszék, in the valley of a creek that often dries in summer. According to documents, this settlement as well as the neighbouring Peselnek, were inhabited in the 14th century.
Archeologists have found a small Osiris statue on the territory of the settlement.
The church of the settlement surrounded by stone walls was built in 1798 in Saint Bartholomew`s honour in the same place where once there had been an older church, which latercollapsed.
In the history of the village the Potsa family had a role of outstanding importance (19th century), their memory being kept by a house in the lower part of the settlement. One of the best-known family members used to be Pótsa József (1836—1903), Lord Lieutenant of District Haromszek. He donated 1000 forints for the local school. Another significant personality in the history of the village was Opra Benedek (1907--1978), teacher of Hungarian, French and Romanian languages, outstanding educator, who was slandered following the downfall of the Revolution in 1956.