The town was first mentioned in 1407 as Torjawasara, meaning in Hungarian “Torja Market”. (Torja is the name of a stream nearby and is also the Hungarian name of the nearby village Turia.) Originally, the Hungarian name Kézdivásárhely was also used in Romanian in the form Chezdi-Oşorheiu, but this was altered to Tîrgu Secuiesc (now spelled Târgu Secuiesc) after the accession to Romania in 1920 under the Treaty of Trianon. The Hungarian native name means “Kézdi Market”, Kézdi being the name of a Székely “seat”, a historical administrative unit. Its status as a market town dates back to the Middle Ages.
The settlement lying in the immediate vicinity of Kézdivásárhely was annexed to the town in 1956. Since then its name has not been mentioned separately by any charts or any statistical data, it is always mentioned together with the name of Kézdivásárhely.
Even if the vast majority of the population is of Roman Catholic origin, it is the Reformed congregation that has its own church. The building was badly damaged by the earthquake in 1977. The cost of its restoration could not be covered by the small Reformed congregation, therefore Catholics contributed largely to it. In exchange, the Catholic congregation has also been using the church since 1984.
The village has become well-known due to its mineral water bath in the first place. A lot of people know and use the water of the spring rich in iron and carbon dioxide.
The village lies in the valley of the Feketeügy Creek, between Kézdioroszfalu and Szászfalu. Its parts are: Varga szeg, Nagyút, Kicsi út, Felszeg and Újfalu.
Local inhabitants consider Felszeg to be the oldest part; Ujfalu was formed only in the 20th century. Sarfalva and Szaszfalu have a common church and their cemeteries lie beside each other. The inhabitants of Sarfalva constructed their own chapel between 1823 and 1826.
During the Revolution in 1848-49 this small settlement had 9 heroes who gave their lives for the freedom of their country: Captain S. Benkő László (1828--1898), and Corporal Balogh József (1805--1858), Gábor Áron`s mounted messenger.
The settlement lies between Kézdisárfalva and Nyújtód, amd it belongs to Kézdivásárhely from administrative point of view. The monument built in the honour of the victims who died during World War II stands near the main street. An outstanding name in the history of the settlement was Bardócz Lajos (1832--1898), lawyer, writer (author of books on sciences of nature), author of the first Hungarian book of inventions.
From an administrative point of view it belongs to Kézdivásárhely, and it is divided into two parts: Kisnyujtod and Nagynyujtod. The vast majority of the population is of Roman Catholic religion. The Szent Laszlo church stands in the centre of the village, being considered a valuable monument. The stone framework and the supporting pillars of the shuttle are elements of Gothic style whereas its tower bell and southern porticos were built in Baroque style. On the side of a chalice, in which holy water is kept one can see the year of 1553 engraved.
A valuable monument of the village is the Pótsa Mansion, which gives home to the school of the village. This institution bears the name of Jakabos Ödön (1940--1979), who travelled extensively by bike in the west of Europe; between 1972-73 he travelled in India and visited Kőrösi Csoma Sándor`s tomb in Darjeeling.