It is situated 8 km from Kézdivásárhely, in the valley of the Torja River. It has been formed as a combination of several formerly separate settlements such as Altorja, Feltorja, Karatna and Volál. Today, apart from Torja village proper, Futásfalva and Bálványosfürdő are also components of Torja Commune. According to the 2002 census, the population of the commune is 3918 people.
The first written document about Torja dates back to 1307. The places of interest in Altorja: the Roman Catholic church and the manor of the Apor family. On the left of Main Street one can see the Neogothic mortuary chapel of the Apors, the so-called Mary-chapel. This is the burial place of Count Lázár Apor (1784-1868), a counsellor in the Transylvanian Court Chancellery and of his grandson, Gábor Apor (1851-1898), Bishop Vilmos Apor's father, who was deputy head of Háromszék County. Another place of interest is the fortified church in Feltorja, in the neighbourhood of which there is a Roman Catholic church built between 1940 and 1942 in honour of Saint Martin of Tours.
Futasfalva is 2 km from the center of the village. According to the oral tradition this village was donated to the Hamar family by Kun Laszlo, Hungarian king. When the king arrived to this region during his fights, he was fleeing from a dangerous situation and his life was saved by the Hamar family.
As a sign of his gratitude he gave the region as a gift to his savers, who named the village Futasfalva after this event. The village was first mentioned in written documents in 1544.
Balvanyosfurdo is the number one bath resort of the county. It is connected to Torja by a 10 km long road. It was built at the junction of the roads toward the Bodoki mountain, the Torja mountain and the Csomad-Budos mountain, at 850 m.height. It is bordered by the spine of the Csomad mountain from the south, which meets at Kis- teto the main spine of the Bodoki mountain.