Boroşneu Mare is a commune in Covasna County, Romania composed of six villages:
- Boroşneu Mare
- Boroşneu Mic / Kisborosnyó
- Dobolii de Sus / Feldoboly
- Leţ / Lécfalva
- Ţufalău / Cófalva
- Valea Mică / Kispatak
The settlement is a secondary village to Nagyborosnyó that was formed in the valley of Nagypatak at the feet of the Bodzai Mountains. The village has got a Reformed church, whose benches are decorated with floral motifs. In the 19th century several renowned families played a significant part in the life of the settlement such as: the Tompa, the Damokos and the Joós families; their only current memories are their ruined burial vaults.
The Damokos Mansion, built by Tompa Miklós in 1728 is provided with a stone porch decorated with floral patterns that is kept in the front hall of the National Sekler Museum at present.
The great son of this small village was Nagy Károly (1868--1926), Reformed bishop and ecclesiastic writer. After completing his university studies he travelled extensively and spent a year in Marburg followed by another year off in Utrecht. After his return he was appointed pastor in Brassó and then in Nagyenyed. In 1895 he became professor at the University of Reformed Theology in Kolozsvár, from 1908 he fulfilled the requirements of chief notary of the Transylvanian Reformed Church District. He was the Bishop of Transylvania from 1918 till his death. He was also in charge with having two newspapers (Erdélyi Protestáns Lapok and Protestáns Szemle) edited. His memory is cherished by a marble memorial table placed on the wall of the church.
The grave of Lieutenant Lisznyói Damó Lajos (1820—1895), placed under the fir-trees of the graveyard that were planted in 1896, reminds the visitors of the Revolution in 1848-49.
It is the smallest settlement of the county that lies in a valley stretching west Kisborosnyó. The number of its permanent inhabitants does not get over 20. The most frequent names occurring in the settlement are: Berszán, Handra, Nagy, Kövesdi and Góga. Some houses have been transformed into weekend houses by the townspeople. Despite the small size of the settlement, local inhabitants still distinguish the lower part of the village from its upper one.
The attraction of the settlement is the Borz fort located on the patch that lies between two small creeks. According to local legends, once there used to be hundreds of badgers in this place, this is how the fort got its name. Archeologists have excavated ceramics dating back to the Neolithic and Iron Ages.
There are two settlements in Kovászna County that bear the name ‘Doboly’. Contrary to other settlements, which are differentiated one from the other as ‘small’ or ‘big’, Aldoboly and Feldoboly are not two neighbouring villages. The former one lies in the valley of the Olt River in the south-western part of the country, whereas the latter one is settled at the feet of Telekhegy, near the road that connects Nagyborosnyó to Zágon. On the occasion of celebrating the 1000th anniversary of the establishment of the Hungarian state, numberless fir-trees were planted on the peak rising above the village. Feldoboly has an outstandingly fertile soil, just right for growing fruit.
On the outside, the Reformed church of the settlement seems to be modest both in size and looks, whereas its interior is uniquely rich and varied. The furnishing made between 1768 and 1808 represent several different trends within folk style.
The famous natives of the village are Bishops Borosnyai Lukács János (1694--1760) and Bodola János (1754--1836). The former one fulfilled this office from 1749; the latter one was in charge from 1815.
The settlement lies at a 4 km distance from Nagyborosnyó on the right bank of the River Feketeügy. Here, in October 1600, a national meeting was held after Prince Mihai sustained by the Seklers had been defeated. The neighbouring Várhegy belongs to Lécfalva from 1899.
The present Reformed church of the settlement was built in 1878; the impressive building in the centre that gives home to different cultural events dates back to 1908.
Some outstanding names in the history of the village are: Gyárfás Győző (1855--1912), Royal Chief Engineer of Sepsiszentgyörgy, designer of several roads and monuments, editor of the Székely Nép newspaper; Szacsvai Sándor (1752--1815) editor of the Magyar Hírmondó newspaper; Keresztes Károly (1891--1944) jurist, composer, who welcomed composer Bartok Béla in his own house in 1927.
In the central part of the district of Háromszék, on the right bank of the River Feketeügy, there is a heap in the middle of a flat land. In older times there used to be a Royal fortress in this place whose role was to protect local population from Petcheneg attacks. After repressing the Sekler uprising in 1562, Prince János Zsigmond had another fortress built in the same location, which he named Székely Bánja. The fortress of Várhegy did not protect the country from external dangers, its role was to provide a permanent post to those who wanted to monitor and control the Seklers deprived of their ancient rights of freedom. Therefore, when Prince Mihai intruded in Transylvania in 1599, the Seklers asked not only for the reestablishment of their ancient rights of freedom but also for the demolition of the fortress. Their requirement was fulfilled, and even if after the battle at Miraslau there was a proposal of having the fortress reconstructed, no further steps were ever taken afterhand.
The stones of the fortress were later used by the Mikes and Szentkereszty families who ordered the construction of a factory processing alcohol and some stables. Nowadays visitors can see only the heap covered with grass and the water jump around it.
The Reformed church of the settlement that lies near the road leading to Kovászna was built in 1855. Its neighbourhood gives home to the Veress-Incze Mansion considered to be a monument, which needs redecorating. The small-sized window holes and chambers indicate the fact that there used to be a former building which got enlarged later on. This theory is sustained by the year 1794 graved in the beams of the south-eastern room.
The local graveyard gives home to Csia Domokos`s tomb, Gábor Áron`s subordinate, who accompanied the cannon-moulding hero until his last breath.